Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Getting my mountain legs

Last summer, when I had been in Colorado for all of 2 weeks, and had done one long hike in my entire life, a guy from work, Chris, took me on a hike up a 12,000ft mountain, with his wife, dog, and month-old baby (give or take). It was a torturous hike for me, but it kind of got me hooked. So when Chris asked if I wanted to go on another hike on Saturday, I said sure, why not. We went to the Horns on Cheyenne Mountain (the same mountain with NORAD). We also took his now 15-month-old baby, who is walking and talking and absolutely adorable, and a guy from Goodrich, Daniel, who is originally from Ghana, and who had never been hiking. Did I mention that I was hungover from staying out until 2am and then getting up at 7am? Needless to say, we were quite the crew. It was a really cool hike though, because it ended near an old hotel that burned down, so we went exploring through the ruins. I even found part of a plate. There was also a lookout tower nearby, so we went up that. Daniel was terrified, but we eventually got him to come up the slightly shaky "staircase", and I got a group picture of my hiking buddies:


Daniel, Mady (sp?), and Chris


View of the Horns

1 comment:

  1. That child clearly has no choice but to be a hiker. I can think of worse things, I suppose. Kudos for hiking hungover... you're braver than me!

    ReplyDelete